This is a really easy and elegant starter that you can prepare earlier and then grill just before serving. The salty, crispy bacon wrapped around the fleshy, crunchy asparagus spears is perfectly complemented by the zesty, creamy Hollandaise sauce.
• 2 Bunches of asparagus
• 8 Rashers streaky bacon
• 4 Egg yolks
• 250g Butter
• 30ml Malagassy Green sauce by AB Products
• 1 Lemon
• Pinch of salt
1. Trim the asparagus spears and then blanch. This must be done very quickly to maintain a firm, crisp bite.
2. Wrap each spear with bacon and place on a baking tray, ready for grilling. Switch the grill on 10 minutes before you plan to serve.
3. Melt the 250gr butter in a saucepan and skim any white solids from surface. Keep the butter warm.
4. Add the egg yolks, a squeeze of lemon, Malagassy Green a pinch of salt and a splash of ice-cold water in a metal or glass bowl that will fit over a small pan. Whisk for a few minutes then put the bowl over a pan, filled with barely simmering water, and whisk continuously until the mixture is pale and thick; about 3-5 minutes.
5. Remove from the heat and slowly whisk in the melted butter, bit by bit until it is mixed through; this will result in a creamy hollandaise. (If it gets too thick, add a splash of water) Season with a salt (if needed) and a bit of black pepper.
6. Place the asparagus spears under a hot grill for 3 minutes and then turn asparagus over to grill for another 3 minutes. The bacon should be nice and crispy. Pour the hollandaise over and garnish with fresh parsley or chives.